Midweek Focus: Newcastle Staffs Volleyball Club
6th March 2013
Midweek Focus: Newcastle (Staffs) Volleyball Club
Newcastle (Staffs) Volleyball Club was formed back in 1980 and since that time has had a strong junior development tradition that we are proud of, but more importantly, is the core of the club. The club was originally formed with the amalgamation of two local school teams - Marshlands High School (now Wolstanton) and Edward Orme High School (now Newcastle Community), and rose quickly through local and regional leagues to National League status.
Once in the lower reaches of the National League, promotion came season after season, until the top flight was reached in the mid-eighties. Ladies volleyball developed later in the club’s history but is now on a level footing with the men, playing in NVL1 with a squad founded upon home-grown players.
Over the years leading players such as Richard Dobell, Tim Hollis and Steve Fee learned their trade as juniors here – and more recently many of the current England Development players came through at ’Castle.
In 2002 the club plunged headlong into a significant programme of growth, centred on Madeley High School and which has now spread across many more schools in North Staffordshire. A Talented Athlete Programme (TAP) at the City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College from 2005-2009 laid the foundation of daily training, which has seen it grow into a Volleyball England Satellite Academy run by the club in partnership with Newcastle-under-Lyme College.
2011 saw the birth of our adults Social Volleyball section which has 30 regular members and has led to a men’s and ladies team entering the local league in 12-13.
We have around 150 regular members from the age of 11 upwards, and further links into the local community through our links to local schools, colleges and universities where we offer coaching and support. Our growing Social section which was established in Spring 2011 continues to go from strength to strength.
Current teams 12-13 season (33):
- Men 1 (Super 8)
- Ladies (NVL1)
- Men 2 (NVL2 North)
Junior Teams (22):
- U18 boys A and B
- U18 girls
- U16 boys A and B
- U16 girls A and B
- U15 boys A, B, C
- U15 girls A and B
- U14 boys – 5 teams
- U14 girls – 5 teams
North Staffs League (8):
- Men’s – 4
- Ladies – 4
We are currently working through the paperwork for Volley 3 accreditation, and have won the Volleyball England Club of the Year award twice in the last decade. Both Colin Roberts and Rod Stockwell have also won the Volunteer of the Year accolade from Volleyball England while in 2011 Will Roberts was Volleyball England Coach of the Year. Our big match nights regularly attract crowds of 100+ each season in the NVL.
We do our best to raise the aspirations and inspire young players by going the extra mile. In the last 4 years we have taken junior teams to Europe to take on various other top club teams.
- National League Div 1 Men Runner-up: 1994/95, 1995/96, 1998/99
- National Cup Men Finalists: 1996/97, 2001/02
- National Shield Ladies Winners: 2010/11
- National Shield Men Winners: 2006/07
- National Shield Men Finalists: 2003/04
- National League Div 2 Champions (Men): 1984/85, 2011/12 (NVL1)
- National League Div 2N Champions (Ladies): 2010/11
- World (ISF Schools) u19 Men: 4th place 1984
- European u19 Men (CEV): 6th place 2011, 8th place 2010
- National u20 Men Champions: 1991/92, 1992/93, 1993/94
- National u19 Men Champions: 1982/83, 1983/84, 1984/85, 1985/86
- National U19 Men R/U 1979/80, 1980/81, 1981/82, 1982/83
- National u18 Men Champions: 2009/10, 2010/11
- National u18 Men R/U: 1990/91, 1995/96, 2011/12
- National u18 Ladies Champions: 2010/11
- National u18 Ladies R/U: 2011/12
- National u16 Boys Champions: 1979/80, 1981/82, 2008/09
- National u16 Boys R/U: 1980/81, 1981/82, 1982/1983, 1989/90, 2005/06, 2010/11
- National u16 Girls Finalists: 2007/08, 2009/10
- National u15 Boys Champions: 1978/79, 1980/81, 1982/83, 2004/05, 2007/08
- National u15 Boys R/U: 1979/80, 1988/89
- National u15 Girls Champions: 2007/08
- National u14 Boys Finalists: 2007/08, 2008/09
- National u14 Girls Champions: 2007/08
We have just completed our most recent 4 year cycle and development plan and are constantly trying to grow and develop the club – not necessarily in terms of numbers but in terms of professionalism and standards – we want the best for our sport and firmly believe that through positive action we can all help volleyball to grow. We’d love to work in partnership with other clubs that are interested in doing the same!
Get in touch!
If you are interested in becoming a member of the club or attending one of the club recreational sessions, please visit our website which contains all the club information: www.nsvc.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: @CastleVb
Monthly/bi-monthly e-newsletter ‘Castle News can be downloaded from our website
Get into volleyball!
To find out about local volleyball sessions around the country please visit the Go Spike website www.gospike.net