HEVO Conference Deemed Best Yet
27th September 2016
HEVO Conference 2016
The sixth Annual Higher Education Volleyball Officer (HEVO) conference took place at the National Volleyball Centre in Kettering. The 77 HEVOs in attendance represented a record number demonstrating the continued growth of the programme.
The weekend was designed to equip the students with the knowledge, training and resources needed to maximise volleyball participation within their universities and local community. The emphasis for the nine seminars and two on-court sessions was student interaction and group focussed discussion.
During the conference two Senior HEVOs Luke Green and Laura Woodruff were tasked with delivering a sitting volleyball workshop which saw more than double the attendees this time round.
Having been given the opportunity to deliver a key part of the weekend deliver, Laura explained that the her HEVO career had been a great asset.
“Over the last five years within the HEVO programme I have witnessed its development and gained invaluable confidence and knowledge,” she said. “The programme has provided me with so many life changing experiences including my summer exchange to Namibia and my senior HEVO mentoring roles. Now for me the next steps have included working toward becoming a Volleyball England staff tutor and the HEVO conference was the perfect opportunity to start”.
Back by popular demand, one of the highlights of the weekend was the UVolleyball festival on Saturday night. Students partied the night away by playing volleyball with glow in the dark balls, UV lights, lines, face paints and music.
The HEVOs were joined by inspirational Olympian Nathan French and Stonewall role model Sarah Gibson. Sarah introduced the Rainbow Laces campaign to the HEVOs whilst providing a passionate speech on LGBT awareness.
It was evident that students were also inspired by the Go Spike Student Activator Award and Sitting Volleyball Workshops. After the conference they were captured playing sitting volleyball at Kettering train station!
Rohan West, participation director for Volleyball England said: “The HEVO Conference and programme goes from strength to strength, as do our amazing HEVOs.
“It was terrific to see such an energised and engaged group, not only get a lot out of the conference, but to head off to their respective universities highly motivated to grow volleyball. One of the most encouraging aspects of the conference was the high numbers of HEVOs wanting to develop stronger and deeper links with their local clubs and leagues.
“This has always been a long-term goal of the programme, and now it is maturing, and recreational volleyball is so strong in many universities, this is a natural progression for the HEVOs and their volleyball communities.”
Young People Manager Rob Payne commented on the conference; “From start to finish the HEVOs embraced the conference which made it a joy to organise and be part of.
“The attendance of 19 return HEVOs and five Senior HEVOs brought a wealth of knowledge of the discussions which far exceeded our expectations. The HEVOs are great ambassadors for volleyball in their universities and I look forward to hearing about all the successes they achieve”.
See below quotes from HEVO’s and attendees on social media and through feedback forms:
- “This was the best weekend ever. So organised, fun and I learned so much. Very inspired to get volleyball started this year!
- As a volleyball beginner it was very useful to learn so much of what makes volleyball so grerat and makes me want to be better
- Exciting and massively developed me as an individual
- Amaaaaazing expereince! Would recommend it 110% to any future HEVO’s!
- Brilliant. Can not wait to go back to university with my ideas.
- As a return HEVO the first conference set some very high expectations for me and the second actually beat that
- I feel a lot more confident in my role and feel like I have a better understanding. I loved the guest speakers and how they got involved with us.
- A very friendly, motivating expereicne. Ran by really lovely people made me feel very comfortable and more confident about my sessions .
- Lots and lots of fun, me a lot of new people and learned a lot of essential information.
- Definitely worth coming. Amazing people, good courses. The best experience.
- Amazing – ready to go out and show what ive learned