Super 8s Round Up

7th December 2016

Super 8s Round Up

 A quiet Super 8s weekend with just four games taking place, there are also four games taking place this weekend, one mens and three womens games.

Mens Super 8s

Saturday 3 December

Malory Eagles (London) 3 v Sheffield Hallam 0 (25-18, 25-18, 25-17)

Malory Eagles went a long way towards saving their place in the top flight after last year's fright and may even have sown the seeds for further success by Saturday's defeat of third place Sheffield Hallam. The team produced its best performance of the season in a 3:0 win. Malory controlled the game from start to finish with Adam Baiza, Marcin Konpa, Ryan Poole, Scott Weninger, Ruari Isted, Teme Samuels and Will Roberts as Libero.  During the game coach Jefferson Williams made only two substitutions, which suggests that Malory has created a solid first six: consistent and effective.  Coach Jefferson commented after game, "Today was one with a happy coach sitting on bench. A most rewarding performance. Well done to all . . ."


Solent 0 v London Lynx 1 3 (7-25, 23-25, 18-25)


Womens Super 8s

Saturday 3 December

Tendring VC Ladies 3 v Team South Wales 0 (25-21, 25-1, 25-0)

Disappointment all round at the Super 8 league match between Tendring Ladies match and Team South Wales on Saturday when TSW were force to concede the match due to injury.

Thankfully the injury was not serious and, although Tendring felt they would have successfully taken the 3 points, it did leave everyone feeling disappointed.

On a positive note the Ladies are now 7 matches unbeaten and looking forward to their clash with top of the table Durham at Tendring Technology College on Saturday 10 December at 13:30.


Sunday 4 December

Pulsepoint London Orcas 3 v Team South Wales 1 (25-20, 25-16, 18-25, 25-18)

On Sunday, the Pulsepoint London Orcas were back at home and welcomed Team South Wales to Battersea. The Orcas were keen to bounce back from letting a 2 set lead slip in their last league game against Tendring and Wales were playing their second game of the weekend after a loss the previous day, also to Tendring.

The teams traded points in the early stages of the first set, but Orcas had pulled out a good lead by the second technical time-out. Wales rallied and closed the gap a little towards the end, but Orcas held on to take out the set 25-20.

In the 2nd set, Orcas again built up a good lead, and this time maintained it all the way through to take the set 25-16.

Wales gave it everything in the 3rd set, and with coach Jalal giving a couple of players who had been out for a long time their first outings of the season, Orcas lost their rhythm and started making unforced errors, allowing Wales to build up a lead. A couple of time-outs from coach Jalal failed to turn the tide, and Wales went on to take the set 25-18.

The 4th set saw Orcas returning to their starting line-up, and up their game to take out the set 25-18, and with it the match.

Overall it had been a bit of a scrappy game, with some long rallies where Orcas often struggled to kill the points against the usual tenacious Wales defence, and with Wales having some success with some clever tipping and well placed roll shots.

However, as coach Jalal said, “a win is a win”, and it was another important three points in the bag.

It had also been good to be able to give the whole squad some court time, and it was great to see setter Elena Bertuletti and middle Benita Tamutyte back on the court for the Orcas after long absences.

Super 8s Round Up