Volleyball is one of the world's most popular team sports. The main objective of volleyball is to stop the ball hitting the ground anywhere on your side of the net with just three touches - whilst trying to make it hit the ground on your opponent’s side of the court.
A brief overview of the game includes:
- An official volleyball court is 18m x 9m
- The server stands at the back of the court and can serve either over- or under-arm into the opponent’s side of the court
- The opposing team is allowed a maximum of three touches on their side of the court before they must send the ball back over the net
- The player cannot touch the ball twice in two consecutive touches but could on the first and third contact.
- The ball must be hit - not caught
- Whichever team wins the point then goes on to serve
- Every time your team wins the serve from the other team your players rotate their position on court – clockwise so that everyone gets a chance to serve
Many opportunities exist for men and women to play beach volleyball across England. Playing volleyball has many benefits including keeping fit and meeting new people. Whatever your level or ability the game provides varying degrees of competition from social/recreational games to more competitive league and cup opportunities. Anyone interested in taking up the sport will find it both rewarding and enjoyable.