Go Spike Activator Award
What is an Activator?
The Go Spike Activator is a new role, aimed at increasing the number of 16+ playing recreational volleyball on a regular basis. Sessions can run anywhere at any time; leisure centres, beach courts, parks, at work, youth centres, community groups and existing volleyball clubs. Where there is suitable space indoors or out - volleyball can be played. The Award aims to engage players of all abilities, keeping sessions fun and focusing on participation through challenges and adapted Games. The Activator may have a coaching background but the role is to facilitate activity not ‘coach’.
Who is the Go Spike Activator Award for?
The Go Spike Activator Award is suitable for:
- Upskilling a volunteer, current player or coach to become an Activator and faciliate Go Spike sessions
- The Activator role can enhance what a club already offers to recruit new recreational members through providing a lower cost Award course to upskill workforce and offer a structure for recreational sessions that hasn’t before been available through Volleyball England
- The Activator may have a coaching background but the role is to facilitate activity not ‘coach’
- The Activator role offers a taster into what leading a volleyball session may involve. Activators may choose to step on to the coaching pathway to undertake a UKCC Level 1 course
What Will the Go Spike Award Course Cover?
The Go Spike Activator Award course will cover the following themes:
- What makes a good Activator?
- Activator Session Planning
- STEPs Principle (Space, Task, Equipment, People)
- Practical: Challenges and Adapted Games
- Where next and participant retention
- Understanding Marketing and Administration
By the end of the Award Activators will be able to:
- Facilitate and lead volleyball activity with participants new to volleyball – or those already playing recreationally
- Enthuse people to build confidence, engage them and sustain their participation
- To set up and run regular sessions; meet and greet participants and provide a social and welcoming atmosphere
- Introduce volleyball shots and rules
- Use the STEPs principle to choose appropriate practices, games and equipment according to the playing level of the participants
Go Spike Activator Award Duration and Costs
The Go Spike Activator Award course is 4 hours long and costs £70.00 per candidate with each candidate receiving the following:
- Go Spike Activator Award Resource booklet detailing the Challenges and Adapted Games
- Go Spike Resource Bag; including a Go Spike Game in a Bag and Go Spike Ball
- Go Spike Insurance - £10.00 per candidate providing professional indemnity insurance
For further information, please read the Go Spike Activator Role Description and Competency Framework, which can be found at the top right of this page.
Award candidates will need to come dressed for on court activity and bring a notebook and pen
Pre-requisites to attend the Award
- You need to be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Be passionate about increasing and retaining the number of people playing recreational volleyball
- Knowledge of volleyball is desirable
How to Book on a Go Spike Activator Award Course
Interested in organising a course?
Please visit the 'How to Organise a Course' webpage here.
Course Policies and Procedures
To view the current course policies and procedures, please visit the relevant webpage here.