UKCC Level 2 Certificate
The 1st4sport UKCC Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Volleyball (L2CCVB) is the next step on the Volleyball England Coach Education Pathway, suitable for those Assistant Coaches who are keen to become an Independent Coach working in a club environment, running practical sessions on their own with an extended knowledge of how to structure, develop and progress the 6v6 game of volleyball. The course builds upon the knowledge, understanding and skills attained on the Level 1 Award.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course, the learner will:
- Identify the essential aspects required to plan, deliver and evaluate a series of linked and progressive sessions for players in a club environment.
- Know how to plan and deliver effective sessions that include the essential technical elements of fundamentals, postural control and ball-handling within the context of the game.
- Apply a number of concepts relating to the Physical, Mental, Technical and Tactical elements of the game.
- Analyse the game into its respective parts including defence, attack and transition.
- Demonstrate competence against National Standards for coaches as defined by 1st4sport Qualifications.
What does the Level 2 Certificate qualify me to do?
The course will qualify the Coach to practice independently in a club environment where one might find:
- School beginner / junior club players.
- Senior beginner / social, club players in the lower levels of local and/or regional league.
The Independent Coach should be aware that this merely the start of their training and development; an enquiring Coach understands that learning requires Continuous Professional Development (CPD), achieved through attendance at sport specific and generic workshops that are provided by Volleyball England and other external providers such as UK Coaching.
What level will I be coaching?
UK Coaching recognises the Independent Coach as someone who can effectively….“prepare for, deliver and review coaching session(s)”, in a club environment (UKCC definition).
What are the pre-requisites for entry on the course?
Learners are required to:
- Be at least 18 years of age by the first day of delivery on the course.
- Registered Volleyball England Coach Member for the season in which the course is taking place.
- Hold a Level 1 Award in Coaching Volleyball, e.g. 1st4sport Level 1 Award or Volleyball England Level 1 Introduction to Coaching Volleyball
- Have at least 12 months of coaching experience following the successful completion of a Level 1 Award in Coaching Volleyball
Four day course consisting of a series of tasks which must be completed on and off course, and a final assessment.
The learner should anticipate taking at least 3 months to be become qualified as a Level 2 Independent Coach. This period would normally be broken down into the following discrete phases of activity:
- Pre-induction phase - becoming acquainted with the course design and researching aspects of the course before delivery (2 hours).
- On-course phase – includes delivery of the course content, opportunities for observed micro-coaching, and an introduction to a number of assessments (14 hours).
- Off-course phase - includes a period of shadowing an experienced coach in a club environment.
- A second on-course phase includes further delivery of course content, more opportunities for observed micro-coaching with peer review and assessment (14 hours).
- A further off-course phase - includes a period of reflective practice coaching, delivering at least 4 linked and progressive sessions within a club environment.
- Finally, completion of a portfolio of evidence that includes assessments and session plans to be submitted within one month of the finish of the on-course phase.
£450 per learner (to include all course reference material).
There are a number areas in the country that can access funding to cover course fees. The subsidy can range from small contributions to the full 100%. Visit UK Coaching to find the latest coach education funding opportunities in your area.
What resource will I receive?
All learners will receive a high quality resource file including all assessments and this will act as a portfolio of evidence to support this qualification once submitted. In addition, a number of key references will be provided to support core learning outcomes including access to an on-line coach education website.
What Should I Bring with me to the Course?
- Appropriate clothing for on-court practice.
- A pen and notebook - you will need to complete sections of your 1st4sport Qualifications Learner Pack (handed out on the day of the course) throughout the day and take notes when required.
- Your responses to the pre-course induction questions and tasks.
- Food and refreshments for throughout the day.
How can I book onto a course?
A national list of courses is available on the Volleyball England Course Finder section of the website. All courses are run by 1st4sport Recognised Centres of which Volleyball England is one; and you must apply directly to that centre using their application process. This information is provided via the Course Finder.
For further information please contact the Volleyball England Hub via email or call 01509 227722