Early information on Birmingham 2022 qualification criteria
19th July 2021
2021 will be such an important year for England’s top beach volleyball teams as they prepare to position themselves as the chosen men’s or women’s pair to represent their country at Birmingham 2022.
The recent Commonwealth Games Funding Tournament in Poole was a major milestone for some and the 2021 calendar of UKBT Grand Slams, which kickstarted at the weekend with Weymouth, will also be crucial for England’s top athletes.
Ultimately, the Team England beach volleyball teams for Birmingham 2022 will be determined by a qualification tournament in May 2022. Although we are still working with Sport England to finalise the criteria for that tournament, we can confirm the following:
- The Commonwealth Games Qualification Tournament is likely to take place the last weekend of May 2022 at a venue that is yet to be confirmed.
- Athletes must have a valid British passport and be registered with Volleyball England to compete.
- There will be six teams in the men’s tournament and six teams in the women’s tournament.
- The top five teams in the UKBT national rankings (best eight results, maximum six from international results) will qualify for the tournament.
- A wildcard may be awarded. If no wildcard is awarded, then the sixth ranked team from UKBT’s national rankings will be awarded a spot in the tournament.
- The senior eligibility criteria must be achieved by athletes wishing to enter. This includes playing at least four UKBT 4* or Grand Slam events and achieving a top four finish in a 4*, or a 5th or higher finish in a Grand Slam event.
- Entry deadline to be confirmed, but it will be 45 days before the first day of competition.
More details to be confirmed.
Mark Garcia-Kidd, Project Lead at Volleyball England, said: “We want to see as many English athletes as possible competing for a chance to play at the Commonwealth Games Qualification Tournament in 2022, and so are encouraging players to enter the UKBT’s 4* and Grand Slam events.
“This is your chance to represent England at next year’s home Games – it is not one to be missed!”
For more information on the 2021 calendar of beach volleyball events, visit: www.ukbeachtour.com
Photo: Steve Smith.