VE Level 1 Introduction to Coaching
The Volleyball England Level 1 Introduction to Coaching Volleyball is suitable for those who are new to coaching volleyball. Successful completion of the course allows coaches to act as assistant coaches - a role which gives them the opportunity to focus on their own development and gain experience whilst working with a coach who is already qualified at Level 2 or higher.
What will I learn?
The L1 course will aim to develop coaches’ understanding of / or ability to:
- Develop the coach’s understanding of their role and responsibilities, particularly regarding their duty of care through safe and equitable practice.
- Knowledge of the technical and tactical coaching requirements for volleyball
- The fundamental pedagogical principles of Game-based Approaches (for coaching technical and tactical skills)
- Develop coaches understanding of interpersonal interaction
- To deliver and review coaching and be critical about own practice, in particular, how to observe, analyse and implement practice.
- The value of engaging with communities of practice as a means to improve own practice.
What does the Level 1 Award qualify me to do?
The Level 1 Introduction to Coaching Volleyball qualifies you to be an Assistant Coach to: ‘assist more qualified coaches delivering aspects of coaching sessions (at any level or in any discipline), normally under direct supervision’.
What are the pre-requisites for entry onto the course?
Learners are required to:
- Be at least 16 years of age on the first day of the course
- Be able to communicate effectively in English, including; listening, speaking, reading and writing
The course is two days long and will usually be held in the following format:
- Day 1 – on course (8 hours)
- At least a two-week gap
- Day 2 – on course (8 hours)
£150 per learner (including all course reference material and a year of Volleyball England membership).
There are a number areas in the country that can access funding to cover course fees. The subsidy can range from small contributions to the full 100%. Visit UK Coaching to find the latest coach education funding opportunities in your area.
What resource will I receive?
All candidates will receive a Learner Activity Pack, premium access to The Art of Coaching Volleyball, which is an online coaching resource portal packed full of videos and articles, and free coach membership for the first season with Volleyball England.
What should I bring with me to the Course?
- Appropriate clothing for on-court practice
- A pen and notebook - you will need to complete sections of your Learner Activity Pack (handed out on the day of the course) throughout the day and take notes when required
- Your thoughts and notes from the pre-course activities
- Food and refreshments for throughout the day